On Sunday, July 24, 2011, I did a brief, special Geeky Pleasures Radio Show interview on The Look 24/7 (@TheLook247) with LA Times writer and graphic novel author, Deborah Vankin (@debvankin), live from from San Diego Comic-Con.
If you missed the live interview, you will find below for your listening and downloading pleasures.
But first, the show notes.
- Things discussed during the interview are: What POSEURS is about; What demographic the graphic novel is aimed and why; Deborah’s experiences covering the LA night life and how it influenced this graphic novel; The deeper themes of the graphic novel; How the writer-artist collaboration works; Deborah’s SDCC experience; Independent publishers and working with them; What else she is working on and graphic novels that have influenced her own work.
- The interview was done via telephone so there is a little bit of noise in it. I did what I could to clean it up.
- At the beginning of the interview, you will hear the Geeky Pleasures Radio Show theme song by Chris Cogott (@chriscogott).
- The format of the interview is mp3, 128 kbps, 44.1 khz.
- The length length of the interview is 24 minutes 07 seconds.
- The size is 23 MB.
- You can download it by right click – save as this link.
- Alternatively, you can stream it below. If you are viewing this in an RSS reader, you’ll need to visit the site in order to stream.
I hope you enjoy.
978-1607063581 | Image Comics (April 5, 2011)
152 Pages | U.S. $16.99 | Distribution: Diamond
ABOUT THE BOOK
Poseurs follows three teenagers from distinctly different corners of Los Angeles who meet in the underworld of LA nightlife and Hollywood parties –and get in over their heads! From the graffiti-tagged streets of LA’s eastside to the bloated, billion dollar mansions of Bel Air, it’s a full-blown party noir!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
DEBORAH VANKIN is a staff writer for the Los Angeles Times, where she covers arts & culture, entertainment and nightlife. Prior to that, she launched—and served as Editor-in-Chief of—the LA Times’ alt weekly publications/websites, Metromix LA and Brand X. Deborah’s work has also appeared in LA Weekly, Variety and The New York Times, among many other places. Her essays and short fiction have been produced at Spoken Interludes and Word Theatre in Los Angeles. Originally from Philadelphia, POSEURS is her first foray into comics. She’s currently working on her second graphic novel.